[Lists] 17th Western Canadian Conference on Computing Education at UBC May 4 and 5

Christopher Rozitis crozitis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:18:26 PDT 2012

Hi,

If you're not interested in K-12 CS/IT education, please accept my
apologies and hit the delete key.

But if you are interested in K-12 CS/IT education, I want to let you know
that the Computer Science Department of the University of British Columbia
is hosting the 17th Western Canadian Conference on Computing Education
(WCCCE) on Friday, May 4 and Saturday, May 5.  While you're welcome to
attend both days, we thought you might be busy teaching on May 4, so we've
created a special one-day registration fee of $50 for K-12 teachers who
want to attend only on Saturday, May 5.  (The full two-day registration is
$150.)  There are a few things going on that might be of interest to you:

Our keynote speaker for the day is Professor Mark Guzdial of the Georgia
Institute of Technology.  Mark recently received the 2012 Computer Science
and Engineering Undergraduate Teaching Award from the IEEE Computer
Society, and is the co-recipient (with his wife, Barbara Ericson) of the
2010 Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award from the Association for
Computing Machinery.  Mark will be talking about the Media Computation
approach to introductory computing education which is now being used
successfully in many universities and high schools.

Later in the day, we have a panel of speakers discussing their experiences
with undergraduate capstone open-source projects, which may be of interest
to anyone who is thinking about bringing open-source projects into the
classroom.

We'll also have a session where you can learn more about the new online
learning tool, Piazza (https://piazza.com/), "a place where students can
come together to ask, answer, and explore under the guidance of their
instructor."

For those of you who are teaching a programming course, you might be
interested in the workshop on the Greenfoot programming environment (
http://www.greenfoot.org/door), a Java programming environment designed
specifically for the classroom.

And somewhere in the middle of all those great sessions, representatives
(including myself) from a few BC colleges and universities would like to
meet with anyone who might be interested in forming a BC chapter of the
Computer Science Teachers Association (http://www.csta.acm.org).  We'll
provide details about the time and location of that meeting in the very
near future.

As if all that weren't enough to entice you to join us on May 5, we'll also
be providing lunch, morning and afternoon snacks, and light breakfast
(e.g., danish or muffins or bagels or something like that -- we're still
working out the details with the caterers).

All that for only $50, plus the opportunity to meet and exchange ideas with
CS and IT educators from throughout Western Canada and beyond!

You can find out more about WCCCE and register for the conference at
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/wccce/2012/ or, if your questions aren't answered
there, just send me email at eiselt at cs.ubc.ca -- we look forward to seeing
you here next month!

Thanks for reading,